Biology I—Chapter 15
Darwin's Theory of Evolution
After reading pages 369-377, I can: (terms)
After reading pages 378-386, I can: (terms)
1. name the literary work in which Darwin outlined his views on evolution; tell why he finally decided to publish the book after leaving it “on the shelf” for almost 25-years.
2. give the term that describes the natural differences among the individuals of a species.
3. describe the process of selective breeding; give the name Darwin used for the process.
4. give the term that describes an organism’s ability to survive and reproduce in a certain environment while undergoing its struggle for existence.
5. give the term for any inherited characteristic that increases an organism’s chances of survival.
6. give the phrase Darwin coined to describe, “Individuals with characteristics that are not well suited to their environment….either die or leave few offspring. Individuals that are better suited to their environment…..survive and produce most successfully.”
7. give the name Darwin gave to the concept described above.
8. describe homologous structures.
9. tell what is meant when a structure is said to be vestigial.
10. summarize (list) the five major tenants of Darwin’s theory as shown on page 386.